Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's custard! It's pie! It's DELICIOUS!

Charlotte may have had Yoforia, but Milwaukee has Kopp's. Who needs tart frozen yogurt that is low in calories when I can have frozen custard that tastes like cherry pie a la mode?



Kopp's is to me what butter is to Paula Deen.

My family is from Milwaukee, but I wasn't introduced to Kopp's until I was in college. My dad was a South-sider and preferred Leon's Frozen Custard, and my mom lived in Tosa and preferred Gilles Frozen Custard. I remember going to both of those places when we visited Milwaukee, but I don't ever remember going to Kopp's. That all changed during my freshmen orientation in college. We went miniature golfing and then to Kopp's and I had a scoop of the flavor of the day, Snickers Chunky Cheesecake. It was like heaven in a cup served with a triangle wafer, and I was hooked. My senior year of college, my boyfriend (now husband) went to Kopp's every Thursday after his honor society meeting, and he always brought some back for me if I couldn't go with him.

He's such a romantic.

We've been in Milwaukee for three weeks but we didn't make our first Kopp's run until last night. The flavors of the day were Grasshopper Fudge and Cherry Pie a la Mode - yum! We both got the cherry pie a la mode and it was everything I remembered Kopp's to be. Thick and creamy, and the tart cherries just popped those taste buds right open. Yoforia and Pinkberry were great and all, but I'm happy to be back in the land where frozen custard reigns supreme.

Good thing I already set up the gym membership.

1 comment:

  1. the yummiest and most deadly part of milwaukee all in the same place :) but yea, they do have some good eats for sure!

    ReplyDelete