Monday, June 28, 2010

As not seen on Bravo

I'm not a Bravo Housewife. Well, maybe like the New Jersey housewives if that psycho wasn't a part of their lives. (And frankly, if half of those women were in my life, I'd use this blog to seriously re-evaluate my friendships and my priorities. I'm sure I'll talk about the Bravo series in depth at some point.) My family is incredibly important to me and we're always there for each other. I'm sure Bravo would find me incredibly boring and drama free.

I am a housewife... but maybe not a traditional housewife. I don't wear aprons, I'm a pretty awful housekeeper, I don't have children to chase after, I make a lot of meals at Dream Dinners, and I rarely bake. However, I am married and I am home almost every day. I suppose I do most of the household tasks as well, when I bother, though my husband does his fair share.

I do work. I'm a doctoral student and I do research, but I work from my home. A home office (or spot on the couch) has its benefits, but since I'm new to Charlotte, I don't have much social interaction.

How did this happen? I'm a trailing spouse of an incredibly successful corporate accounting/finance guy. I love him with my whole heart. He is my partner in life and in life decisions, and I was happy to be able to make this move for him and for us. And though I might complain about it or seem resentful at times, moving to Charlotte really was the decision for our family of two. However, this relocation made me a housewife.

I think this transition would've been easier except throughout the last five or six years, I was barely at home. In addition to being a graduate student and a researcher, I also had other jobs working with students in a higher education setting. I loved my students and I miss them terribly. (I'm sure I'll talk about them at some point as well.) So being at home is a bit of a change.

I'm writing this blog to chronicle my adventures as a real housewife in Charlotte, and maybe hear from other real housewives in Charlotte or elsewhere. And hopefully, I'll make you laugh or sometimes cry, but more often think.

No comments:

Post a Comment