Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fan of the section

A few weeks ago, we went to the Brewers game for my niece's 4th birthday. My niece is quite the Brewers fan and knows most of the players. In fact, she refers to left-fielder Ryan Braun as her boyfriend - much to her mom's dismay. However, I remember being my niece's age and having quite the affinity for a first baseman named Cecil Cooper, including a t-shirt that said I {heart} Cooper, so I get it.

COOOOOOOOOP!!!

We had a fun group sitting behind us - they were probably in their twenties, and although a few of them were a little intoxicated, they were generally fine and clearly having a good time. They thought my niece and nephew were pretty darn cute and had a lot of fun joking around with them. One guy in particular repeatedly asked my nephew for a spoonful of his Dippin' Dots, which my nephew thought was weird at first but then thought was pretty funny. They declared my niece "The best fan in this section. We can't say the whole stadium because we haven't checked out all the fans in all the sections, but she's clearly the best in this section." 

I think the best fan of the section may have been a reaction to the following conversation: During right-fielder Mark Kotsay's first at-bat, my niece recognized the name and repeated it in her four year old-speak: "Kot-saaaaaay." This caught the attention of one of her Grandmas, and they proceeded to have this conversation:

Grandma: Grandpa doesn't like Kotsay.
Niece: Why not?
Grandma: Why don't you ask him?
Niece: Grandpa, why you don't like Kotsay?
Grandpa: Because he doesn't hit very much.
Niece: (Pause) He hits on my tv!

Yeah, my niece is pretty cute.

And for the record, Kotsay had a couple of hits that game, including a hit immediately following this conversation. Clearly my niece knows her Brewers baseball.

3 comments:

  1. Too funny!!!

    And who didn't love Coop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I loved that game and watching her the whole time. So freakin cute!!!

    ReplyDelete