Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cravings

One of my favorite desserts is key lime pie. If I'm getting dessert and key lime pie is available, that's what I'm ordering. I have no idea why.

For as much as I love it, I never make it. Maybe it's because I think of it as being a special treat when I go out to dinner or maybe it's because I would probably eat the whole thing by myself at home. Either way, I don't ever make it and I don't ever think of making it.

Until yesterday.

I was reading one of my favorite blogs, A Year of Slowcooking, and came across a post for cooking sweetened condensed milk in the crockpot to make dulce de leche. I started thinking of all of the awesome things that could be made with sweetened condensed milk and key lime pie was the first thing that popped in my head. Once it was there, I fixated on the tart and tangy flavor and I had to have it.

When I get a craving for something, I try not to indulge myself immediately. I wait and usually the craving subsides, and I'm proud of myself for not giving into whatever fattening or sweet treat I wanted. Or I develop a craving for something else. However, I dreamt about key lime pie last night, so I was positive this craving wasn't going anywhere until I had some.

I seriously have no idea why I don't make this more often. It took 5 minutes to make and now it's chilling in the fridge, waiting for me to have a slice after dinner. My husband will be pleased because we rarely have desserts in our house, unless you count popsicles and I don't.

Of course, now that it's made, I'm no longer craving key lime pie. I really want a Chicago-style stuffed pizza. I don't think I can make that with sweetened condensed milk.

2 comments:

  1. Why have I never made that either?? That sounds like the simplest, yummiest dessert ever. How was it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good! I'd add a little more lime juice or zest and cut back on the cool whip. I think it just needs a thin later to cut some of the tartness, but not 2 cups worth.

    ReplyDelete