Monday, July 19, 2010

Just when I thought I had acclimated to the South

I made red beans and rice for dinner tonight, and I thought "Wow, I'm becoming a Southerner!" Then I remembered what happened this morning.

This morning at water aerobics, our instructor told us to high five three people and tell them our favorite desserts. She does stuff like that during our recovery, but usually it's "tell four people your first name." Apparently she was craving some sugar today.

I had to really think, but I decided mine was key lime pie. So I high five my people, and tell them "key lime pie" and they say things like "pecan pie" or "banana pudding" or "peach cobbler." I didn't think anything of it, until I overheard the rest of the ladies talking about their favorite desserts... strawberry shortcake, red velvet cake, sweet potato pie... The compiled list sounded like I was watching Paula Deen, and pretty soon all I could picture were these southern women standing in their kitchens melting butter and brown sugar and covering everything with homemade whipped cream. I am definitely not one of them.

I'm not really trying to be Southern, but I am coming to the realization that there are many cultural differences between my Midwestern roots and my Charlotte life that I still need to understand. Food is a good place to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment