Saturday, July 3, 2010

Water aerobics bitches

I go to water aerobics class three or four times a week. We had a couple of intolerably hot weeks in Charlotte and water aerobics was a great way to get my exercise and not die. Now I just love it. The class is mostly comprised of older ladies, but my instructor gives suggestions on how to make it harder so I can really get a good work out. It's a lot more fun than the treadmill or elliptical, and given the time of day the class is offered, a hang out for Charlotte housewives.

The ladies in the class are a mixed bag. Some come to socialize, some come to exercise, some do a combination of both. I generally don't care what the reasons are as long as they don't distract our instructor from the lesson. There is one exception to this indifference: The stick thin women who do nothing and still get to be stick thin. They need to leave.

We have two women in the class who I'd guess are in their late 40s. They both wear bikinis to water aerobics, and not the athletic two piece types either. They wear the kind that look like if they bounce at all, their breasts will be on display for all of us. They may relish that idea, but I certainly don't need or want to see that. They come to class and talk the entire time and exert no effort at all. Half of the time they're not doing the right exercise and the other half of the time they simple go through the motions. For example, our instructor told us to grapevine across the pool so they did... slower than the 80 year old woman who just had her hip replaced.

Why pay for a class when you're not going to take advantage of it? Those are the kinds of people who make me angry in exercise classes. I'm jumping and propelling and squeezing and suspending and all the things that my instructor tells me to do to make it harder, and these sticks are doing nothing and getting to be thin. Grr. I hope there's some sort of karma that will right this injustice.

Until then, I'm just going to splash them as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment