Sunday, December 19, 2010

What I'm reading: On Strike for Christmas

I read On Strike for Christmas last year, but I decided to read it again after I saw the Lifetime movie based on this book.


I picked this book up for some fun, easy holiday reading for the airplane last year, and it definitely fit the bill. The premise of the book is just what the title suggests - women of the small town of Holly go on strike at Christmas because they feel unappreciated by their husbands and families, overwhelmed by the holiday preparations, and/or misunderstood by their husbands.

Each woman has a different reason for going on strike, and each husband has a different approach for handling the strike. For example, Joy wants to show her husband Bob, or Bob Humbug as she calls him, how sad and lonely Christmas would be if they did things his way. Laura wishes her husband Glen would understand how difficult it is to do everything by herself at Christmas and hopes that by making him do it all by himself, he'll appreciate how challenging it is and help her in the future. Of course, not every woman goes on strike. For example, Carol's husband and son died, and resents the women for not appreciating how lucky they are to have family to celebrate with this year. Jerri is undergoing chemotherapy and desperately wants to give her family a memorable Christmas, but simply doesn't have the strength to do anything.

The story unfolds as these women experience the holidays via their husbands' hapless and sometimes vengeful execution, and they share these experiences with each other. The women and the men learn about what is important to them, and both sexes learn they need to make compromises around the holidays. The story wraps up quite nicely, but perhaps a little too conveniently. However, Roberts' writing flows easily and allows for a quick read, and the story is relatable and funny.

Re-reading the book this year made me think a little bit about our Christmas drama, and my own need to do things "just so" around the holidays. I love the way my family celebrates Christmas, and I sometimes feel like I've forced my type of family Christmas on my husband, though he doesn't seem to mind and actually seems to enjoy it. Still, I was reminded that everything doesn't have to be done my way, and that holidays after marriage involve a great deal of compromise, but it's also my love and care that truly make Christmas special.

No comments:

Post a Comment