Friday, December 17, 2010

A Southern Snowstorm

I'm attempting to blog from my Blackberry today, so please forgive me in advance for the numerous typos and weird page breaks.

The reason I am blogging from my cell phone is because Southerners don't know how to handle ice. Or I should say, the idea of ice because there's not really any ice on the ground.

It rained last night, and the temperature dropped into the 20s overnight, so the water sort of froze. I say sort of because it definitely froze on windshields and sidewalks, but not really on the roads. The ground is still too warm and the traffic kept the water from settling long enough to freeze on the roads. So yes, it was a little slippery this morning when I went outside, but nothing serious. And of course, the temperature climbed back above 32 by 7am so the ice was already starting to melt.

I had an appointment scheduled for 9 this morning, and the place is about 45 minutes away, so I got up early this morning. I watched the local news, saw all the accidents and school delays, and decided to leave extra early so I could take my time. I didn't see the place I had an appointment on the list of delays and closures, and my phone call and email to check on the status of our appointment went unanswered (it was only 7:30am afterall) so off I went!

Traffic was slightly backed up, but no more than the usual rush hour backups. In fact, the roads were perfectly fine. Wet, but absolutely fine.

So imagine my surprise when I arrived for my appointment, only to find out that the office wasn't opening until ten. The windows are dark, the doors are locked, and I'm sitting here like a doofus, trying to figure out what to do.

I learned last year that Charlotte does a lot of anticipatory weather closings. They see snow or ice in the forecast, freak out, and close everything. This is because a) they don't have salt trucks, and b) they only have 8 snowplows for the entire city. Ok, I don't know the exact number, but I'm pretty sure I heard 8 last year. Anyway, everyone freaks out that the snow is coming, they make bread and milk runs to the grocery store, and generally hide out until the storm passes. Businesses close (my husband had snow days from work), schools close, and the city essentially shuts down.

The problem is that nothing ever happens. The snow turns out to be flurries (maybe) or the front goes completely north of us, and everyone looks like a bunch of idiots. And then I'm stuck waiting here because the powers that be trusted the weatherman instead of walking outside.
I'm annoyed that I got up early and left extra early to ensure I'd make my appointment on time. I'm annoyed that there wasn't any sort of message on the voicemail that they'd be closed until ten. I'm annoyed that I'm just sitting here, trying to figure out what to do - is my appointment postponed? Cancelled? Will they reschedule? Does this mean I have to drive an hour and a half roundtrip again on another day?

But mostly I'm annoyed because I have to wonder these things on a perfectly fine day.

No comments:

Post a Comment