Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fail

Because I was sick last week, I did not visit the gym as often as I probably should have. However, Saturday morning I was feeling a little better so I (reluctantly) went to the gym. I told myself that I was just going to do a brisk walk on the treadmill, just to get my heartrate up and get my blood flowing, but not over-exert myself since I hadn't been to the gym in a few days.

That was the plan.

Instead, I convinced myseld during my warm up that I should continue with the exercise program I've been following so that I didn't lose momentum (I'm not actually training for anything, it's just a program to follow because I was in a rut). And so I did. And at first, I thought I was going to die, but then I remembered I always feel like I'm going to die when I have to run, and so I kept going. After a few minutes, I felt like I was working hard, but felt fairly confident that I was not going to die on the treadmill.

I admit, I was really proud of myself. I was still sick, but I had pushed through my stuffy nose and general fatigue to do a good work out. I may have even asked my husband for a high five. He may have given me one and then mocked me for the rest of the day.

So Sunday when I went to the gym, I had somehow convinced myself that I could move on to the next phase of my exercise plan as scheduled. I'd had a great workout the day before and I'd gotten a good night's sleep, so I was feeling pretty confident that I could step up my intensity despite the fact that I couldn't breathe through my nose.

I don't know what I was thinking.

I started off feeling like I was going to die, as usual, but that feeling did not go away. Instead, I was pretty sure that I was going to collapse. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move my legs, and I couldn't believe I'd even considered taking the next step in my work out plan. Why did I think I could run longer than I had ever done? Did my snot have magical powers?

Clearly my illness made me delusional.

Oh well. I'll try again tomorrow... or whenever I feel better.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, yes, typically breathing is required to run! Take care of yourself and you'll be back up there in no time- I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you actually tried. That is more than I (or most people) would have done. But yes, breathing is a requirement for exercising.

    visiting from SITS

    ReplyDelete