Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cook Family Christmas

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is looking at lights on Christmas Eve. I think this started when my family lived in Ohio and our neighborhood held a decorating contest every year. I remember cars lining the streets to look at lights, particularly on the weekends and especially on Christmas Eve. It seems like every house was decorated. Some were beautiful, like the big green house with Santa's sleigh and a wreath and candle in every one of the 30+ windows. Others were delightfully tacky, like the house with all the chaser lights going at different speeds and in different directions. And some had a little holiday humor, like the modern house that spelled out "BAH HUM BUG" in the upstairs windows. The neighborhood just seemed full of Christmas Spirit!

Looking at lights is a tradition that I've continued with my husband. We love listening to Christmas tunes and driving through neighborhoods full of decorated houses, noting when a house has really gone all out and often wondering how exactly they got those lights on that high peak over the garage.

Friday night, my husband and I decided to head out to one of our other favorite spots - the Cook Family light display. What makes this display so amazing is not just the 80,000+ lights. Nope, this is one of those houses that has the display set to music, broadcast through the car radio! The whole display runs for about 20 minutes, and then goes completely dark for about 30 seconds so cars can move out and let new ones in. The family collects donations for charity, and this year the money is going to A Child's Place.

Grinchy loved looking at the lights with us
With an amazing light display, fun Christmas music, and the charity tie-in, it's impossible not to feel the Christmas Spirit while watching the show. It also reminds me of those Christmas Eves in Ohio, driving around with my family to look at all the lights. I can only imagine what our neighborhood would've been like if these kind of shows were around then.

Thanks, Mr. Cook,  for helping us feel the Christmas Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment