Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Not voting

I didn't vote today. North Carolina didn't have a governor election so it wasn't as big as other states, and my Congressional district wasn't hotly contested either (unlike my neighboring districts which are up for grabs). We're not even having a mayoral election. More than half of the "little offices" were running unopposed. Still, I planned to vote, but when I actually did my research on the candidates, I became very disillusioned and made the decision that not voting represented my interests better than voting would.

I've always had the policy of only voting for a candidate, and never voting against a candidate. In other words, I'll never vote for Candidate A just because I don't want Candidate B to win. To me, voting that way signals that I somehow approve of or endorse Candidate A when I really don't. For example, my congressional district featured the incumbent and her opponent, who had never voted until the primary in May. Am I really supposed to take this election seriously?

I blame all the statistics and surveys I've had to interpret over the years. Until there's a "None of the Above" or "No Opinion" option, choosing not to vote is the best solution for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment